There are many reasons why it can be a good idea to change your IP (Internet Protocol) address – after all, it’s what shows your location when you’re on the internet. Some of the main benefits are privacy, securing yourself on public Wi-Fi, getting around firewall restrictions, dodging censorship, and so on.
In this article, we will look at how to change your IP and location using a VPN.
How to change my location with a VPN
The simplest way to change your location is to download a VPN such as Surfshark to your device and follow these steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN service
- Download and install the app
- Log in to the app
- Choose a server in the locations tab
- Click Connect.
How does a VPN change my location?
When you use the internet, your IP address reveals where you are connecting from. However, a VPN reroutes your traffic through a VPN server. As far as anyone can tell, your traffic is coming from the server location. Anybody monitoring your traffic will see the server’s IP address and its location rather than your actual whereabouts.
Some services may use your DNS address or WebRTC data to get your location data, but a good VPN takes care of that as well.
Why change my online location?
There are a lot of good reasons to change your real IP address. Some of the most common are:
- Staying private: Your IP address acts as your internet ID wherever you go, allowing websites and third parties to track you and your activity around the web even when you’re not logged into an account. Using a VPN can stop them from doing just that.
- Getting around restrictions: Many countries and institutions have firewall restrictions to stop you from accessing the internet freely (such as social media). Changing your location with a VPN allows you to bypass these restrictions and surf with total freedom.
How do I find my VPN location?
It’s a good idea to check your VPN location so you know that your VPN is working as intended. An easy way to do this is to use an IP address detection tool.
If you’re connected to a VPN, and your IP is still showing as your actual location, then the VPN service is insecure and not working properly. If this is the case, you’ll need to switch to a better provider.
Is it illegal to change your location with a VPN?
Do you live in a country where VPN use is illegal? If not, then it’s totally legal to change your location with a VPN.
Note that some apps and services – like Pokemon Go! – can be strict about changing your location via artificial means, so it may still be against their terms and conditions.
Surfshark does not encourage using a VPN in any way that would potentially violate the Terms of Service of other service providers.
Get the VPN that will always keep your IP hidden
Whether you want to protect your privacy or get around restrictive firewalls, the best option is to change your real IP address and location using a VPN. Surfshark provides an easy-to-use, safe, and cost-effective option, helping you change your IP location within just a couple of minutes.