What is an iPhone VPN?
A VPN for iPhone works the same way as it does on any other platform. It encrypts all the internet traffic on your phone. That data is then sent to a VPN server – set up by the provider – where it is decrypted and forwarded to where it needs to go.
Simply put, it’s a VPN that will work on an iPhone. At the most basic level, it can mean the inbuilt VPN functionality of iOS. However, we’re talking about VPN apps that are available on the Apple Store, optimized to work with iOS technology, and use the tunneling protocols supported by the system.
Why should I use a VPN on my iPhone?
The already mentioned features of iPhone VPN benefit you a lot – and are even better when combined. Encryption keeps your data safe. Nobody can read it. That means neither your internet service provider nor any hacker or government agency can gain any information from stealing it. They can’t even tell what websites you’re visiting.
Meanwhile, connecting to a secure VPN server allows you to surf the web in privacy. You are no longer leaving behind your IP (internet protocol) address – a bit of information that identifies your device online – wherever you go. Instead, the systems record the server’s IP address.
Both of those features help you with accessibility as well. Geo-blocked services, censorship, or your work/school/public Wi-Fi blocking some websites got you down? A good VPN can bypass it all.
Of course, you first have to know what makes for a good VPN.
What to look for when choosing the best iPhone VPN?
It’s not hard to choose a good VPN when you know what to look for. A good VPN should have the following features:
|Secure tunneling protocols||Tunneling protocols tell the VPN app how to make a private connection. You want the latest and most secure ones like IKEv2 and OpenVPN. Avoid old protocols like PPTP and L2TP.|
|Strong encryption||This defines how hard your data is to decrypt if stolen. Modern 256-bit encryption is unbeatable with contemporary computers.|
|Kill Switch||You don’t want to become unprotected due to technical glitches. A “kill switch” is a feature that disconnects you from the internet if your VPN goes down and protects from any data leakages.|
|Ad-blocking||While not a primary feature of a VPN, many good VPNs block ads from even downloading. This improves your connection speed anywhere and saves your mobile data.|
|A variety of servers||More servers mean better odds of finding the fastest one for you. If you’re planning on using the US streaming services, you’ll have a better chance of finding a server not overloaded with people.|
|Multiple device support||If you’re securing your iPhone, why not secure your MacBook, your AppleTV, and other smart gadgets? Get a VPN that supports many platforms.|
|Unlimited installs||Usually, a VPN will allow you to install and run the app on a handful of devices at the same time. Get one that allows for many installs – or in the case of Surfshark, infinite ones.|
But now that you know how to choose the best iPhone VPN, how do you actually use it?
How to use an iPhone VPN
Ease-of-use is one of the main selling points of iOS. This remains true even for iPhone VPNs. Using one is as easy as pie.
1. Sign up for a VPN.
2. Download and install the VPN via Apple Store.
3. Click “Connect” to connect to the fastest server.
4. That’s it!
You can find a more indepth guide here.
What can I do with an iPhone VPN?
Now that you have a VPN on your iPhone, here’s what you can do:
- Use public Wi-Fi safely: encrypting your data keeps it safe if hackers steal it on unsecured Wi-Fi.
- Unblock everything: does your workplace, school or library block certain services or websites on their Wi-Fi? With an iPhone VPN, you can bypass those blocks.
- Bypass censorship: does the country you reside blocks access to some websites? With an iPhone VPN, that’s not a problem. And with your connection being encrypted, they won’t even know what you did while browsing.
- Avoid price discrimination: travel tickets and reservations are prone to price discrimination based on your geographical location. But if you change the VPN server you’re connecting from, you can save money online.
- Overcome geo-blocking: If you want to connect to a server in a specific country – like if you want to access those US Netflix libraries – find a suitable server on the app and connect to that.
For more on how to use the iPhone VPN, read this article.
Even for iPhone users, a VPN is becoming a more and more valuable asset of daily digital life. So get yourself an iPhone VPN that offers excellent security, a lot of servers, and all the installs you’ll ever need. Get Surfshark VPN!