But where do you start, if you don’t know your way around Kodi? Well, not to worry, you are in safe hands. In this post, you will learn how to install and set up Kodi to watch movies and why using Kodi with a VPN is the best choice you could make.
First things first.
While FOMO is a real thing, that can’t be the only reason to choose Kodi. The app comes with several advantages that make it a better option for home entertainment than many existing apps currently. with Kodi you get;
- Access more entertainment content with free add-ons; Kodi offers access to unlimited entertainment through its many third party plugins. Be it music, literature, art, movies, Kodi has you covered.
- Kodi works on different devices; Kodi supports Mac, iOs, Windows, Linux, and even Raspberry Pi. Kodi also works with traditional TV boxes and home computers among other devices.
- Support different OS; Kodi is supported on several operating systems that include Android, iOs, Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.
- Supports universal formats; Kodi can play almost all popular audio and video formats, including pictures.
- Open source; this means many people get to work on Kodi, making it better day after day. It also means Kodi gets updated quickly in case of security threats.
- Works great with IPTV; IPTV Kodi add-ons allow you to stream IPTV channels on Kodi.
How to Watch Movies on Kodi
With secure tunneling protocols like IKEv2, over 1000+ servers in 50 countries, unlimited torrenting bandwidth on unlimited devices connected simultaneously, Surfshark is the VPN to work with on Kodi.
How to use Kodi with Surfshark (on Windows)
- Download Surfshark application. You can download it from HERE.
- Once it is installed, open the application, select the server and connect.
- Download and install the Kodi app. You can download it from HERE.
- Follow on-screen instructions and wait until the setup finishes installation.
- Once you have Kodi installed on your device, to watch any movie, you’ll have to add the right plugins. This is because Kodi comes with zero media pre-installed. To add the right plugins here are a few steps to guide you:
- Step one: open Kodi and scroll to the ‘Add-ons’ tab and click on it:
- Step two: scroll to ‘Download’ tab and click on it
- Step three: scroll down to the ‘Video add-ons’ tab and then you will see hundreds of video add-ons that you can choose from.
- Step four: select the video add-on you want and click on it
- Step five: a new window for your add-on will open, and you will find an install link at the bottom right corner of the screen. Once you press ‘Install’, you will see what additional add-ons will be installed as well. Press ‘OK’.
- Step six: once you have installed it, go to the start menu, press ‘Add-ons’, select it, select the video, and enjoy!
Why Kodi Needs VPN
A VPN encrypts your data before it leaves your device, ensuring your privacy and security. In particular, it enables you to:
Access to the geographically locked content
VPNs enable you to bypass geo-restrictions. Any content that is geographically locked on any video add-ons is easily accessible with a reliable VPN.
VPNs allow you to browse privately without the worry of someone watching your online activity. This way, you can even access content your government has restricted without the government knowing about it.
In some countries, throttling is a big headache for the streaming fraternity. Throttling is usually done by ISPs to either improve overall network performance or to squeeze more cash out of you as a client. A VPN enables you to achieve better streaming speeds without having to worry about throttling.
Top Kodi Add-ons for Movies
Kodi on its own has no content. But add the different plugins available and Kodi becomes a giant content delivering application. Some of Kodi’s add-ons for movies are listed below.
Tubi TV boasts over 50,000 different movies and TV titles of different genres. However, on the downside, Tubi TV has some of its content is geographically locked (e. g. currently, it’s not available in Europe). To unlock the full Tubi TV library, you’ll need the services of a VPN like Surfshark.
Popcorn Flix is a free-to-use movie streaming service with a vast collection of TV shows and movies. This streaming service can be downloaded and installed for free on Kodi.
British Film Institute (BFI) offers unique and historic content pieces that are great for any film student or film buff. There are plenty of British films to see on BFI player including documentaries, political commentaries and kids’ cartoons of yesteryears.
SnagFilms has over 5,000 movies and TV shows cutting across different genres. The platform first acquires complete movie and TV licenses and then offers large amounts of this content online for free.
Crackle is Sony’s free online video library. All the content in the platform is licensed by Sony. Given that Sony is a movie powerhouse, you can expect some high-quality content in this space for sure.
Film Rise, just like SnagFilms first acquires complete movie and TV licenses and then offers all that content free online. The platform has over 7,500 titles at their disposal for your enjoyment. Their content is available on YouTube.
BBC iPlayer offers a variety of high-quality UK and non-UK movies and TV shows. A few limitations to BBC iPlayer is their limited content, which is also geographically locked. Outside the UK you cannot access the content on BBC iPlayer. This is where Surfshark comes in handy, enabling you to easily watch movies on Kodi’s BBC iPlayer from any place in the globe.
Maverick TV offers plenty of movies, TV shows, live streams, sports, IPTV and much more. The add-on relies on the latest scrapers to find plenty of HD links.
Enjoy unlimited Kodi content with Surfshark
Only $1.99/mo. 30-day money-back guarantee with every planBuy NOW