Your console is not just a gaming station anymore – it’s an entertainment system. But to be adequately entertained, you need access to entertainment, right? That’s why you need a PlayStation VPN – it allows you to access the best Netflix libraries wherever you are.
VPN for PS4 & PS5: secure your gaming, unlock more streaming
- Unlock Netflix streaming libraries
- Security and speed in one package
- Protect your console and other devices
30-day money-back guarantee
Get the best streaming experience
Don’t sacrifice speed
Surfshark is a great choice for your PS4 & PS5 VPN as the wide variety of servers and protocols ensures the best speeds. If you want to use your console to stream movies and films, you’ll be able to get it all without experiencing unusual buffering!
How to set up a VPN on PS4 & PS5
Set up a PS4 & PS5 VPN over a PC
Since you can’t install a VPN for PS4 & PS5 directly, one of the most popular ways of setting it up is installing the VPN on a PC and then using a cable to share the connection with the console. Here’s how it’s done, using Surfshark VPN as an example:
- Step 1: Get a VPN and install it on your PC.
- Step 2: Connect your PS4 & PS5 to the PC with an Ethernet cable.
- Step 3: Configure an Ethernet connection on your PC.
- Step 4: Connect to whatever location you like on the VPN app.
- Step 5: Open the Dynamic Menu on the PS4 & PS5 and go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Set up Internet Connection.
- Step 6: Select Use a LAN Cable with the connection method set at Easy; click Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked.
- Step 7: Accept the settings.
- Step 8: Select Test Connection.
- Step 9: Done!
Set up a VPN for PS4 & PS5 on a router
Wondering how to use a VPN on PS4 (or PS5) without a PC? Then you can choose to set it up on your router. Here’s how you do it.
- Step 1: Set up your VPN on your router – you can find the instructions here.
- Step 2: Enter the Dynamic Menu on the PS4 & PS5.
- Step 3: Go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Set up Internet Connection.
- Step 4: Select Use Wifi and set the connection method to Easy.
- Step 5: When prompted, select Do Not Use a Proxy Server.
- Step 6: Accept all the settings.
- Step 7: Click Test Connection.
- Step 8: Have fun!
If you’re using Surfshark as your chosen PS4 & PS5 VPN and run into any issues with this (or another) approach, contact the 24/7 support service. They’re always there to answer all of your questions.
PS4 & PS5 VPN without additional equipment: Smart DNS
If your main need is unlocking content, then you can get Smart DNS, which can be configured on a PS4 & PS5 without any additional equipment. Caution: it might not always work, but it’s worth a shot. Here’s how it goes:
- Step 1: Log into your Surfshark account (or get one if you don’t have it yet).
- Step 2: Find your Smart DNS settings.
- Step 3: Set it up on your PlayStation.
- Step 4: Enjoy!
Granted, Smart DNS is different from a VPN. It offers a more limited service, but if you’re only after unlocking content, it will suit your needs.
Access to streaming services
A VPN allows you to trick services into seeing that your console is connecting from any place in the world, giving you wide access to Netflix libraries or early game releases from all around the world.
Speed alongside security
VPN connection speed depends on server proximity. The closer they are to your location, the better the speed. Luckily, Surfshark has over 3200 servers in 65 countries, so you’re sure to find one that’s close to your physical location. Surfshark also offers VPN protocols like Wireguard, which are as fast as they are secure.
Security for your entire home
Setting up your VPN on your router? Then it won’t be just your console that you’ll be protecting. Any device connecting to the router – be it a PC via cable or smartphone via Wi-Fi – will enjoy the security and accessibility benefits of Surfshark!
Can I get a free VPN on PS4 & PS5?
While plenty of free VPNs exist, they are usually very limited in speed, servers, and usability. According to research conducted on free Android VPNs:
- 18% don’t encrypt traffic which is one of the most important features when it comes to both security and access to content that VPNs provide.
- 84% leak user data, which also compromises all the reasons to get a PS4 VPN.
- 38% contain malware.
After all, developing the app, running research and development to keep it secure, and hosting servers all require money. And where does that money come from? Ads, malware, selling your data, or the VPN being funded by state security agencies.
In all situations, a paid VPN is better.
Can I put a VPN on PS4 & PS5?
At present, there’s no way to directly install a VPN app on a PlayStation 4 & 5. All providers use some sort of workaround to offer VPN or VPN-like capabilities.
How do I unblock Netflix on PS5?
The most guaranteed way to unblock Netflix on PS5 is to use a VPN. To do that, you’ll need to either install a VPN on your router or share a VPN connection from a computer. We have guides for both of those methods in this article.