Double VPN – here at Surfshark, we call it Dynamic MultiHop – enables you to connect via two different VPN servers. Most of the time, these are located in different countries and are pre-selected for you. Surfshark allows full customization by allowing you to select both servers manually, thanks to Surfshark Nexus.
Double VPN for double the privacy and security
- Connect via two VPN servers
- Create your own server duos
- Add an additional layer of security
What is a double VPN, and how does it work?
How do I use Dynamic MultiHop?
1. Sign up for Surfshark & download the app or simply log in if you already have it.
2. In the Surfshark app, click MultiHop on the home screen right under the search bar.
3. Start creating your own server pairs, mark your favorites & connect to them.
Dynamic MultiHop benefits you’ll love
Gives total customizability
Dynamic MultiHop allows you to select any server you want & create your own server pairs, fully adapting to your security needs.
The more servers between you and whoever wants to track you, the harder it is for them to reach you or for data leaks to occur.
Anyone who wants to get to you has to breach the VPN server you’re connecting to. That’s twice as hard with two VPN servers that you customized.
Who should use Dynamic MultiHop?
Use Dynamic MultiHop if:
- You want to be more private when connecting to your own country
- You’re an activist who wants to stay as far away as possible from government tracking
- You’re a journalist protecting your sources
- You use a VPN because you care about security above all else
Don’t use Dynamic MultiHop if:
- You’re just browsing online casually without any special needs – a single VPN server is enough to cover your needs
- You’re streaming, since then you are likely to feel the negative impact of routing your data via multiple servers
Disclaimer: Using two separate VPN services, on the other hand, isn’t something we recommend. There is a high possibility that they will interfere with one another and noticeably slow down your internet.
Is VPN chaining with a Dynamic MultiHop safe?
It is. Our industry-leading encryption secures your traffic 100%, even without a Dynamic MultiHop. This feature only improves your security and privacy online.
Is a double VPN better than regular VPN servers?
Depends on what you want. If your primary concern is privacy and security, then yes, a double VPN is better than just connecting via a single server. If you’re using this for other purposes (like avoiding ISP throttling), then using a single server is likely better due to better speeds.
What made Dynamic MultiHop possible?
Surfshark Nexus. Nexus is a Surfshark VPN innovation that connects our VPN servers to a single, global network.
Because all servers are part of the same network, you can select which two countries you want to connect to and change them however you like to get maximum security.