A PlayStation is not just a gaming console – it’s an entertainment system. However, online entertainment can also be dangerous. You’re never really safe – even when playing games or streaming Netflix on your PS4. Unless you use a VPN, that is.
Why get a VPN on PS4?
If you want to feel safe when gaming or relaxing with your favorite show after a long day – use a VPN. It will ensure that you’re always protected from third-party trackers and snoops.
A VPN protects you from digital peeping toms by rerouting your internet traffic through a different server. Doing so gives you the privacy and security benefits a VPN offers.
Wide coverage and server quality are also important. Different locations and a high number of servers make sure they’re not overcrowded. In this case, you don’t need to worry about a VPN impacting your speed. You can stream buffer-free and avoid ISP throttling for a smooth Netflix binge session whenever you want!
So, ready to get started? I’ll show you two different ways to set up a VPN on your PS4.
2 ways to set up a VPN on PS4
The VPN setup for PS4 is indirect. As of now, you cannot install a VPN on your PlayStation directly. However, there are workarounds.
When you set up a VPN on your PS4, you have a few options to choose from. Each method has its own pros and cons:
1. Set up a VPN for PS4 on a Wi-Fi router
2. Set up up a VPN for PS4 over a PC
Solution 1: Set up a VPN for PS4 on a router
You can set up a VPN on PS4 without a PC using your Wi-Fi router. We always recommend this method because it’ll make sure that all the other devices on your home network are protected too! Also, this will allow you to use a VPN on PS4 without a PC. Here’s how you do it.
- Step 1: Set up a VPN on your router.
- Step 2: Enter the Dynamic Menu on your Playstation.
- Step 3: Go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Set up Internet Connection.
- Step 4: Select Use Wifi and set the connection method to Easy.
- Step 5: When prompted, select Do Not Use a Proxy Server.
- Step 6: Accept all the settings.
- Step 7: Click Test Connection.
If you’re using Surfshark as your PS4 and PS5 VPN and run into any issues with this (or anything else), contact our 24/7 support service. They’re always there for you!
Solution 2: Set up a VPN on PS4 over a PC
You can also use a PC to share a VPN connection to your PS4. All you need is a desktop computer and an ethernet cable (Note: this method only works on Windows):
- Step 1: Get and install a VPN for PC.
- Step 2: Connect your PS4 to the PC with an Ethernet cable.
- Step 3: Configure an Ethernet connection on your PC.
- Step 4: Connect to whatever location you like on the VPN app.
- Step 5: Open the Dynamic Menu on the PS and go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Set up Internet Connection.
- Step 6: Select Use a LAN Cable with the connection method set at Easy; click Do Not Use a Proxy Server when asked.
- Step 7: Accept the settings.
- Step 8: Select Test Connection.
Can I use a free VPN with Playstation?
While plenty of free VPNs exist, they are usually very limited in speed, servers, and usability. According to research conducted on free Android VPNs:
- 18% don’t encrypt traffic which is one of the most important features of security that VPNs provide.
- 84% leak user data, which also compromises all the reasons to get a PS4 VPN.
- 38% contain malware.
After all, developing the app, running research and development to keep it secure, and hosting servers all require money. And where does that money come from? Ads, malware, selling your data, or the VPN being funded by state security agencies.
All in all, when comparing free VPN vs paid – paid is better.
Your PS4 and a VPN: a match made in heaven
With a VPN, you can stay secure even with your ultimate PS4 entertainment system. All you’ve got to do is set it up! It might seem like a tedious task, but we always recommend the Wi-Fi router method. This way, you can make sure all your devices are VPN-protected.
And now that you know how to set up a VPN on a PS4 – why not practice it with Surfshark? Give us a shot, we won’t disappoint! Our infrastructure and servers are top-notch, and that’s a promise!
Disclaimer: Surfshark does not encourage using a VPN in any way that would potentially violate the Terms of Service of other service providers.
Try us out - it’s risk-free!Get started