The primary purpose of a virtual private network is to protect user’s privacy. However, not everything people do online can be private as some services, such as banking apps, do not work when VPN is enabled or can trigger alerts do to unexpected location change.
“Android is the most popular operating system in the world, but most of the VPN providers fail to respond to the needs of Android users. By launching Split tunneling for Android, we solved a frustrating problem when some apps don’t work with VPN. Such apps include those which require cellular connection or work only in specific locations, for instance, car parking or instant payment apps,” says Olivia Anderson, Chief Android Developer at Surfshark.
With Split tunneling feature Surfshark users will no longer have to compromise their privacy by turning off the VPN when in need of some specific apps. They will be able to choose apps which do not need to be routed through VPN service.
Unusual feature among VPNs for Android
The feature allowing to whitelist applications which do not need additional encryption is unconventional in VPN market. Several providers offer Split tunneling on Windows platforms, but close to none do it on Android.
“Today, Surfshark’s Split tunneling is available for our Windows and Android users, and we plan to launch it on other platforms in the upcoming months,” says Olivia Anderson.
Other recent developments
- Last month Surfshark announced that it had obfuscated all the servers so that even internet service providers would not know that the VPN service is being used.
- Also, earlier this year Surfshark introduced an advanced CleanWeb™ feature which allows users to block malware, trackers, and ads, as well as protects them from a growing number of phishing attacks.
- Surfshark is the only VPN provider which allows unlimited simultaneous connections, meaning that one subscription can be used to protect many devices.
- All the internet traffic sent to and from any devices using Surfshark is strongly encrypted and protected from tracking.
- The ever-expanding location selection list allows users to choose from hundreds of servers in 50 different countries, including the United States, Russia, Hong Kong, Germany, Israel, Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, and others.
Download our Android app HERE.